Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 16, 2012

The Twins Baby Shower- Ch. 6 The Third Trimester

There are many things about my pregnancy and birth of the twins, and their lives in the hospital, that I never really processed because I had babies that needed feeding and a 2 year old that needed me to keep it together.  Sometimes I wish I had seen a counselor (if I had the time or energy) to cry and be real about how I really felt deep inside.  I was a zombie.  Sleep deprivation is a big factor but so was trauma.
You know how when something is really upsetting sometimes you wait till you get home to cry.  Well, I never got home.
I held it all in for that glorious day- that heavenly and triumphant day when my two babies were with me out of the hospital sitting on the couch together.  I was going to cry and cry with joy that now I could stop being afraid and sad.  I would be whole again.
But that day never came and many compartments of that box never got opened.  Reading this book has opened another compartment.  The day of the twins' diaper shower.
It was like there was this horrible elephant in the room.  I don't know if anyone else felt it or not.  My sister and friends asked me many times if I even wanted to still have the shower, since I was supposed to still be pregnant, but the babies were at the hospital instead.
I felt that I could use a little celebration.  I mean, there was something to celebrate, right?  My babies were born!  That's a congratulations, right?  We had pictures of the babies going in a slide show, and we oogled all the adorable little twin clothes.  The only reason I wanted a shower (since it was my second pregnancy anyway) was that I was super-stressed about double diapers.  I was hoping a nice big stack of diapers would make me feel a little bit more ready  to handle them.
I was terrified of taking care of two babies since the day of the ultrasound.  Then when they were born early and I knew I was going to be pumping around the clock in addition to caring for two newborns who needed extra care, I was really terrified.
So here I was looking for some encouragement from friends and family to get me through the most difficult thing I had ever delt with.  The problem is, what do you say to someone with twins in the NICU?  "Congrats" doesnt quite feel right. "I'm so sorry" doesn't really fit the bill either.
I guess what I was hoping for is- you're doing great!  You can do this!
I don't really remember what people said, just that no one ever said, "How are you handling this?" and I didn't have the sense at the time to say I needed a cheerleader.
No one could have known how much pain I was in.  Having them there was a great show of love and support.
Mostly everyone acted like it was a regular shower.  I suppose that is what I should have expected. I got the little break from reality that I wanted.  But when everyone left, it was back to reality.
In a way I just wanted to scream- I wish I was still pregnant!  I miss my babies!  I can't believe this is happening to me.  I wish that this was my "grieving the times I was apart from my babies in the NICU" blog.  Or my "preemie recovery and support" blog.  I wish this was my "learn from my mistakes with twins" blog.
I miss Samantha.  I wish she was here.  I love her so much.


3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

Love to you <3

Liesl Fawcett said...

I too had twins (boys) and lost one of them, on May 28th, 2012. My William contracted MRSA and passed away the same day we found out he had it. It was all very sudden. I just found your blog and I have to say I can relate so much... Thank you for sharing your story.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved